Get email updates
How do women pay for abortions?
- Most abortion patients have health coverage<
- But most women pay out of pocket for their abortion
- In 2008, the average cost of a first-trimester abortion was $470
- Lower-income women are more likely to be uninsured
- Source: DeNavas-Walt C, Proctor BD and Smith JC, U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Reports, P60-243, Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2011, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 2012.
- Only 17 states have policies to use their own funds to cover abortions for women on Medicaid
These graphics were made possible by a grant from the Wallace Alexander Gerbode Foundation.