The Associate Editor will be one of a team of editors responsible for shaping Guttmacher’s publications. Products range from fact sheets and media materials to complex reports and articles for two peer-reviewed journals, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health and International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. The Associate Editor position requires strong editing skills (solid command of grammar and usage, ability to edit material for diverse audiences, close attention to internal consistency and readability); in addition, we prefer that candidates have:
- Familiarity with domestic and international sexual and reproductive health issues, and ability to help authors formulate strong, cohesive arguments; and
- Sufficient understanding of social science research methods and statistics to ensure accuracy, readability and effectiveness of both text and graphics.
- Provide substantive edits and guidance on text, tables, figures and infographics to ensure accuracy, internal consistency, correctness of grammar and style, and readability;
- Work with authors with varying writing and language proficiencies to ensure that material meets rigorous standards for publication;
- Work with executive editors, authors and production staff to shepherd copy through review and production phases;
- For the peer-reviewed journals, screen manuscript submissions, participate in editorial meetings to discuss submissions and other journal-related matters, and assist in identifying reviewers;
- Assist in writing copy, as needed;
- Screen outside journals to stay abreast of the field;
- Perform other job-related tasks and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in the social or life sciences; master’s degree a plus;
- Three to five years of editorial experience focused on academic/professional material in the social sciences;
- Proficiency in Word and Excel, willingness to learn project management software and other programs;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including the ability to edit text and graphics for diverse audiences, paying particular attention to house style, internal consistency and overall readability;
- Familiarity with the sexual and reproductive health field;
- Understanding of social science research methods and statistics;
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills, ability to manage multiple priorities in a time-sensitive manner, close attention to detail;
- Fluency in French or Spanish a plus;
- Availability for occasional travel to conferences and meetings;
- Cultural competence and sensitivity toward diversity; commitment to contributing to inclusivity in the workplace.
Salary and Benefits
Minimum salary of $69,000 to the low $80ks, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
- No telephone calls will be accepted
- No agencies please