Founded in 1968, the Guttmacher Institute is a global leader in advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights. Through a unique and interrelated program of high-quality research, evidence-based advocacy and strategic communications, the Institute works to generate new ideas, encourage enlightened public debate, and promote sound policy and program development; its overarching goal is to ensure the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health and rights for all people worldwide. The Institute is engaged in building a more inclusive, transparent and equitable organization.
The Audio-Visual Specialist is essentially the communication, broadcasting and production point person whose focus on the effective, high-quality operation of the audio-visual systems and technology. He/she should have the ability to handle all technological needs for integrated conference room systems as well as supporting meetings, events and conferences. Reporting to the Director of Board Affairs/ Meetings and Events; the A/V specialist will be in charge of maintaining, troubleshooting, improving systems and suggesting systems that are right for the Institute. He/she will work as part of a team to prepare for internal and external meetings and events and manage related projects as assigned. The ideal candidate is able to thrive in a fast-paced environment where prioritizing and multi-tasking are the norm. Initiative, exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills are key.
- Provide expert technical meeting support to organizers/attendees before and during meetings; conduct post-event evaluations with meeting organizers to determine areas of improvement for future events.
- Analyze and configure the proper equipment required for each meeting or event held in conference rooms, including Board of Director meetings, webinars, trainings, brown bags and all-staff meetings. Responsibilities include but are not limited to, setting up and testing conference room equipment, including equipment in the A/V rack, laptops, microphones, Zoom and webinar conferencing, Teams, Mondo pads, modular furniture and projectors.
- Prepare audio, video and lighting equipment for broadcasts and recordings.
- Research new and integrated technology trends for the Institute; coordinate and schedule equipment repairs and maintenance.
- Manage, maintain and troubleshoot audio visual equipment and components; manage updates for equipment; schedule Zoom meetings sent through the meeting request platform.
- Pre-test all presentations and equipment and coordinate with the meetings and events logistics coordinator to ensure correct set-up of hybrid meetings in conference rooms.
- Anticipate, monitor and troubleshoot technological aspects of the meetings to resolve onsite and offsite issues.
- Manage all conference room Zoom accounts, including all Zoom and webinar conferencing.
- Ensure all meetings and events equipment is secure and in good working order.
- Consult with Director of Board Affairs/Meetings & Events and IT staff, when purchasing AV equipment or contracting external vendors for New York and Washington, D.C. offices.
- Support occasional off-site meetings/events with technical needs.
- Maintain inventory of conference room equipment and alert the Director of Board Affairs/Meetings & Events and IT staff of damaged or defective equipment.
- Provide comprehensive, efficient, and flexible solutions to ensure strategic and effective meetings.
- Assist the Director of Board Affairs/Meetings & Events and project teams in other divisions, with the technology and coordination of all large meetings, conferences, and events.
- Coordinate with the meetings and events logistics coordinator on issues that need immediate attention.
- Attend daily check-ins with the meetings and events team to strategize for the workday.
- Update Diligent Board Platform with relevant information as needed.
- Update Board member information on the Guttmacher website and Intranet.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field strongly desired; or equivalent combination of two to four years A/V experience and/or certification in related field will also be considered.
- Proficiency in the use of A/V related hardware, software solutions for audio-visual presentations and Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Strong analytic, problem-solving skills as they pertain to A/V associated systems.
- Documented experience using relevant technology, including Zoom, Microsoft Teams, SharePoint and webinar conferencing or similar platforms, wireless microphones and Crestron technology.
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills with regard to Zoom and webinar conferencing and other meeting technology systems in diverse configurations involving notebook computers, microphones, projectors, monitors, Mondo pads, speakers and teleconferencing phones.
- Comfort with online technology podcasting, computerized presentations and internet access and a clear understanding of LAN/WAN hardware, including cabling.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments; must be proactive and work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent problem solving and time management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills a must.
- Availability to work overtime as required.
Salary and benefits
Salary starting at $60,000 to $90,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time, paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
Guttmacher is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment, where employees’ talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. We endeavor to make the application process accessible to all users. If you need assistance learning about or applying to our employment opportunities, please contact our human resources department at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].