The Communications Assistant supports the Communications team’s outreach and educational efforts, with a particular focus on providing administrative project support, coordinating meetings and events, and assisting with disseminating and monitoring the impact of communications materials. The work of the Communications Assistant requires the ability to be an active team member in close coordination with and taking direction from multiple mid and senior-level staff across divisions. This entry-level role is ideal for a creative, collaborative and curious individual who has an interest in sexual and reproductive health and rights and communications strategy.
• Coordinate meeting logistics for internal and external meetings, including serving as a point of contact for external attendees, liaising with both U.S.-based and international vendors to coordinate event needs, organizing contracts and payments, and assisting with travel arrangements including reservations, registrations and visa applications in conjunction with other staff;
• Coordinate shipping of Guttmacher Institute materials for events as needed;
• Provide internal meeting support through scheduling, note-taking, tracking needed follow-up and keeping colleagues up-to-date on project timelines and responsibilities;
• Prepare and review expense reports as needed;
• Draft and coordinate execution of partner contracts and wire transfers.
• Assist with preparing event materials including presentations, backgrounders and briefing materials for speaking engagements, meetings and conferences as needed;
• Help draft and disseminate communications materials for the Institute’s social media channels, website and email lists;
• In coordination with other staff, help with social media scheduling, posting, monitoring, and metrics tracking;
• Monitor and track news coverage and journalists relevant to the Institute’s work as needed;
• Respond to phone and email requests for Institute materials and general information;
• Prepare project reports for staff, board, funders and key stakeholders as needed;
• Perform other job related tasks as assigned.
• BA/BS degree in a related field preferred;
• One to two years’ experience as an administrative assistant strongly preferred, ideally including previous experience with event planning and coordination;
• Strong communications and organizational skills with careful attention to detail;
• Comfortable in liaising with a variety of audiences while representing the Guttmacher Institute in a professional and culturally sensitive manner;
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and handle a range of time-sensitive administrative responsibilities;
• Must be comfortable working in a team and taking direction from multiple staff, and have the ability to work independently and take initiative;
• Experience working in a fast-paced environment;
• Experience working with social media platforms a plus;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
• Experience with web content management systems such as Drupal and email distribution systems such as MailChimp a plus;
• Interest or experience in social sciences or women’s/reproductive health a plus; a passion to learn is essential.
Salary and Benefits
Low to mid $40k’s with excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 401(k) with employer match, commuting subsidy, and generous time off.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
- To apply, submit resume and cover letter to Professionals for Non-Profit.
- No telephone calls will be accepted.