The Communications Assistant supports the Communications team’s outreach and educational efforts, with a particular focus on assisting with disseminating and monitoring the impact of communications materials, providing project support, and coordinating meetings and events. The work of the Communications Assistant requires the ability to be an active team member in close coordination with and taking direction from multiple mid and senior-level staff across divisions.
• Help draft and disseminate communications materials for the Institute’s social media channels, website and email lists;
• In coordination with other staff, help with social media scheduling, posting, monitoring, and metrics tracking;
• Monitor and track news coverage and journalists relevant to the Institute’s work as needed;
• Respond to phone and email requests for Institute materials and general information;
• Prepare project reports for staff, board, funders and key stakeholders as needed;
• Assist with preparing event materials including presentations, backgrounders and briefing materials for speaking engagements, meetings and conferences as needed;
• Draft and coordinate execution of partner contracts and wire transfers;
• Prepare and review expense reports as needed;
• Coordinate shipping of Guttmacher Institute materials for events as needed;
• Provide internal meeting support through scheduling, note-taking, tracking needed follow-up and keeping colleagues up-to-date on project timelines and responsibilities;
• Coordinate meeting logistics for internal and external meetings, including serving as a point of contact for external attendees, liaising with both U.S.-based and international vendors to coordinate event needs, organizing contracts and payments, and assisting with travel arrangements including reservations, registrations and visa applications in conjunction with other staff;
• Perform other job related tasks as assigned.
This entry-level role is ideal for a collaborative and curious individual who has an interest in communications strategy and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
• One to two years’ experience as an administrative assistant strongly preferred;
• Strong communications and organizational skills with careful attention to detail;
• Comfortable in liaising with a variety of audiences while representing the Guttmacher Institute in a professional and culturally competent manner;
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and handle a range of time-sensitive administrative responsibilities;
• Must be comfortable working in a team and taking direction from multiple staff, and have the ability to work independently and take initiative;
• Experience working in a fast-paced environment;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
• Experience working with social media platforms a plus;
• Experience with web content management systems such as Drupal and email distribution systems such as MailChimp a plus;
• Interest or experience in social sciences or women’s/reproductive health a plus; a passion to learn is essential.
• Associate’s degree in related field a plus; a combination of equivalent coursework and experience in writing, communications or journalism will also be considered.
Salary and Benefits
Salary starting at $45,700 to upper $40k’s, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive and equitable environment, where every employee’s unique talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
- No telephone calls will be accepted
- No agencies please