Reporting to the Vice President of Finance & Administration, the Director of Human Resources will direct the Institute’s Human Resources operations, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, performance evaluation, employee engagement and employee relations, learning and development, compliance, and special projects, ensuring HR is aligned with the Institute’s culture and strategic plan, as well as future growth prospects. The Institute is a fast-paced and rapidly growing workplace.
- Hire, manage, coach and develop Human Resources staff, encouraging continuous growth and development;
- Manage relationships with external partners including: consultants, attorneys, trainers/coaches, insurance brokers and benefit administrators;
- Develop and monitor annual Human Resources budget;
- Lead Institute human resource compliance with all existing government and legal reporting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Paid Family Leave (PFL), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, worker compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA);
- Maintain minimal company exposure to lawsuits;
- Maintain knowledge of national and local laws, regulations and developments in the human resources field;
- In partnership with legal counsel, manage the petition process for VISA sponsorship;
- Partner with the Management Team to develop and communicate Human Resources policies, procedures, programs and practices;
- Oversee the implementation of human resources policies, programs and practices; monitor administration to establish standards and procedures, identify opportunities for improvement, and resolve discrepancies;
- Oversee a comprehensive review of the employee manual every three years; including annual revisions and updates when new laws are enacted or new Institute policies are implemented;
- Counsel management and staff regarding employee relations matters and legal issues related to personnel policies and laws;
- work with staff to provide support in communicating issues to their supervisors/colleagues; work with management regarding staff development and disciplinary procedures/terminations;
- Partner with the Talent Manager to develop a robust curriculum of compliance training and staff development programming;
- Oversee recruitment for organization-wide recruitment portfolio including senior level positions;
- Partner with the Management Team to ensure organization’s diversity, equity and inclusion priorities are identified, implemented, analyzed, and improved upon, as appropriate;
Salary and Benefits
- Perform yearly salary and benefits analyses; make recommendations and implement approved changes;
- Manage a triennial salary survey and comprehensive review of the Institute’s compensation policy every three years, including salary increase guidelines, competitiveness of benefits;
- Serve as the staff member on the Board’s Executive Compensation Committee;
- Administer the Institute’s benefits program, including but not limited to serving as the liaison between the Institute and benefits brokers and vendors, negotiating insurance renewals annually, planning and implementing annual open enrollment meetings, retirement plans, monthly vendor billing, and health and wellness programs;
- Liaise with pension fiduciary and pension administrator to ensure compliance
- Manage an RFP process that assesses benefit provider services every three years; analyze responses; present analysis and make recommendations to the organization’s Management Team; manage the implementation of any changes;
- Participate in Management Team and organization-wide meetings as appropriate;
- Use data analytics to identify areas of strength and of improvement; communicate themes to management, recommending efficiencies and resolutions; implement decisions accordingly;
- Perform any related job responsibilities/projects as assigned by the supervisor.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned professional with a broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, compliance, and training and development. Experience in, and commitment to, managing diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Minimum of ten years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources;
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management strongly preferred; HR certification a plus;
- Demonstrated knowledge of laws, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, and organization policies and procedures; active affiliation with recognized Human Resources networks and organizations preferred;
- Practiced in principles and procedures for managing complex employee relations issues, conducting investigations, recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, employee relations and personnel information systems;
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal and coaching skills;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- Computer literacy: MS Office, HRIS (e.g., ADP Workforce Now), and insurance carrier websites;
- Commitment to the Institute’s mission and values;
- Experience with organizational change management, a plus
- Demonstrated ability to successfully engage with diverse internal and external populations; commitment to advancing the diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives;
- Ability to travel to out-of-town meetings on occasion.
Salary and Benefits
Minimum salary of $135,000 to mid-$100ks, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
- To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
- No telephone calls will be accepted
- No agencies please