The Global Communications Assistant is an integral part of the Guttmacher Institute Global Communications team, working collaboratively with staff across the Institute’s Communications and Publication division as well as the Global Research and Policy teams to help implement strategies to inform and shape public debate on Global sexual and reproductive health and rights issues. This position works closely with mid and senior level staff of the global communications team by assisting in the creation and dissemination of communications materials across various communications channels (including the Guttmacher website, email list and social media accounts), monitoring and documenting the impact of these efforts, and providing other project support (such as media list building and other research support).
- Draft communications materials, including articles, presentations, social media content, and other written products in collaboration with senior communications staff and cross-divisional project managers and other colleagues.
- Assist in the dissemination of communications materials to the Institute’s email list, website and media contacts
- Provide research assistance to the global communications team, retrieving and synthesizing information from internal and external sources as appropriate (including from previously published Guttmacher materials and news coverage we have shaped or generated)
- Assist with drafting materials for publication on our website, including coordinating preview images, tagging, and posting
- Media relations: monitoring and documenting media coverage, checks press inbox, alerting the team to queries, maintains press lists, tracks mention, and other relevant metrics.
- Manage the global communication general inboxes and respond to email requests for the Institute’s Global Research materials and other general information.
- Assist with social media and digital tasks as needed
- Prepare and review expense reports and contracts with communications partners as needed.
- Support participation of communications staff at Global events and assist with coordinating shipping of Guttmacher materials for events as needed
- Support project management through event and meeting scheduling, note-taking, and keeping colleagues up to date on project timelines and responsibilities.
- Coordinate meeting logistics for internal and external meetings and events, including the Institute participation in UN activities: management of registration and grounds passes.
- Perform other job-related tasks as assigned.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Strong communications and organizational skills with careful attention to detail
- Client-oriented, with experience liaising with a variety of audiences and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and handle a range of time-sensitive administrative and communications responsibilities
- An ability to work collaboratively and as part of a team, with the ability to take initiative and to work independently
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Experience developing content for social media platforms
- Experience with Drupal, MailChimp, Asana, and Cision a plus.
- Interest working in the field of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, a plus.
- Language Skills, particularly French or Spanish, a plus.
Salary starting mid $46,000 and will be commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time, paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment, where every employee’s unique talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. Guttmacher Institute endeavors to make employment opportunities accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact HR at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].
Guttmacher Institute is an EEO employer.