The Human Resources Assistant works closely with the Director of Human Resources and Assistant Manager of Human Resources to ensure smooth daily operations of the HR department. They will perform responsibilities and provide support, as appropriate, on staffing, recruitment, on-boarding, payroll support, compensation and benefits administration, compliance, and HRIS data entry and management.
- Provide support to ensure the smooth daily operations of the human resources (HR) department;
- Respond to requests for information, managing the HR department inbox, and, escalating issues and requests as appropriate.
- In partnership with the Director and Assistant Manager, draft emails, memorandums, general correspondence, reports and presentation materials as requested.
- Assist in the maintenance of the department’s HRIS system, ADP Workforce Now;
- Perform data entry into the HRIS and vendor benefit portals to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information.
- Reconcile monthly invoices from insurance providers and other applicable vendors including: VSP vision, Cigna medical and dental, Benefit Resource Inc. FSA and transit plans, temporary agency and yoga and exercise vendors; review invoices for accuracy and resolve discrepancies. Ensures all HR related invoices are submitted for review and processing in a timely manner.
- Assists with administering our benefits programs and offerings, leaves of absences, workers compensation policies, as assigned.
- Assist with the recruitment process for open positions and internships, including: announcing and posting open positions, scheduling interviews, initiating and reviewing background checks; meeting with hiring managers, screening candidate resumes, conducting initial telephone screens and in-person interviews, conducting reference checks, as needed.
- Schedule onboarding orientations of newly hired employees of the Finance & Administration division; conduct new employee orientation and related meetings and review employment documents to ensure accuracy.
- In partnership with the Director and Assistant Manager of HR, assist with coordinating and hosting open enrollment meetings and other HR related staff events; arrange for distribution of materials from carriers; assist with communicating changes to employees; update the open enrollment portal, inputting changes in various carrier sites; arrange on-site presentations by providers.
- Manage exercise and yoga classes in the New York City and Washington D.C. office including scheduling and communicating with exercise and yoga instructors.
- Manage reporting such as census reports, external salary and benefit surveys; diversity reports and other staff lists.
- Creates and maintains personnel files.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience in Human Resources or administrative role.
- Proficiency managing and using an HRIS; experience with ADP Workforce Now strongly preferred.
- Strong computer skills and experience in Windows-based applications including MS Word, Excel, Power Point and database experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to appropriately handle and process confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to work with all levels of staff; must demonstrate initiative and good judgment.
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism, accuracy, attention to detail, and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Strong and effective time management skills.
- Highly dependable and punctual.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary at $45,700 to upper $40k’s, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
- To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
- No telephone calls will be accepted
- No agencies please