Individual Giving Officer
Founded in 1968, the Guttmacher Institute is a global leader in advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights. Through a unique and interrelated program of high-quality research, evidence-based advocacy and strategic communications, the Institute works to generate new ideas, encourage enlightened public debate, and promote sound policy and program development; its overarching goal is to ensure the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health and rights for all people worldwide. The Institute is engaged in building a more inclusive, transparent and equitable organization.
The Guttmacher Institute is looking for an ambitious, proactive and experienced Individual Giving Officer to join our fundraising team. The ideal candidate is able to build bold, innovative, and dynamic donor engagement communications and strategies for a variety of audiences. The greatest area of opportunity and focus in the Guttmacher Institute’s development plan is with individual donors. The Individual Giving Officer will qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward special gift ($2500+) and major gift ($10,000+) donors to build the donor pipeline. He/she/they will work closely with all members of the development team to move donors through the fundraising cycle.
The Individual Giving Officer will assist the Director of Individual Giving with the Guttmacher Institute’s Annual Fund Campaign, helping to set strategy and executing fundraising plans for sustaining and growing the number of annual donors, increasing the size of individual donations and converting individual donors to major donors. The Individual Giving Officer will help the Guttmacher Institute reach its annual individual giving revenue goals. Additionally, the Individual Giving Officer will be responsible for digital fundraising campaigns and events. This position reports to the Director of Individual Giving and works closely with a collaborative Development team.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a portfolio of 75-100 prospects and current donors, executing annual plans to cultivate, solicit, and steward, those donors.
- Achieve monthly fundraising and cultivation goals for prospect and donor visits; prepare visit reports and follow-up correspondence; use database to record all moves and activities with prospects and donors.
- Cultivate existing individual donors and encourage renewal, retention and increased donor support.
- Collaborate with other staff and board members on rating, solicitation and stewardship strategies.
- Communicate persuasively through personal visits, written proposals, appeal letters, and reports.
- Work with the Director to implement annual strategies for solicitation to grow annual revenue from individuals via traditional and digital means.
- Work with V.P. for Development and Director of Individual Giving to implement a strategy to diversify the donor prospect pipeline.
- Customize donor acknowledgement for special and major gifts, appreciation, and recognition consistent with gift level.
- Work with the Director on individual appeal campaigns, online and digital giving initiatives and digital donor engagement including social media.
- Implement donor cultivation programs and assist with donor cultivation events.
- Assist the Vice President with Board cultivation and fundraising activities, as needed.
- Work with Communications team to develop innovative fundraising and marketing strategies for digital and print media.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of donor contacts and communications.
- Prepare regular reports on all individual campaign activities for the special and major gift portfolios.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Exceptional, proven communications and writing skills including experience in writing direct mail appeals, e-appeals, website copy, social media and other written materials;
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience
- Knowledge of fundraising principles, moves management;
- Proficiency with Salesforce or comparable relational donor database;
- Strong organizational, analytical and planning skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines;
- Customer service sensibility, collaborative personality and ability to initiate direct communications with current and potential donors;
- Strong interpersonal skills, project coordination experience and the ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors;
- Direct marketing and special event experience strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in a workplace setting a plus;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Access and especially Excel);
- Must be able to work occasional special events (including evenings) as needed, and additional hours during peak times as required; and
- Discretion with sensitive, confidential, and proprietary information.
Salary and benefits
Salary starting at $67,237 to $85,227, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
Guttmacher is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment, where employees’ talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. We endeavor to make the application process accessible to all users. If you need assistance learning about or applying to our employment opportunities, please contact our human resources department at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].