Founded in 1968, the Guttmacher Institute is a global leader in advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights. Through a unique and interrelated program of high-quality research, evidence-based advocacy and strategic communications, the Institute works to generate new ideas, encourage enlightened public debate and promote sound policy and program development. The Institute’s overarching goal is to ensure the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health and rights for all people worldwide. The Institute is engaged in building a more inclusive, transparent and equitable organization.
Meetings and Events Associate will provide support to Board Affairs and Meetings/Events in the operational and logistical aspects of in-person and virtual meeting space. Specifically, the Meetings & Events Associate will work with the Director of Board Affairs, Meetings and Events in the planning and execution of the Board of Directors meetings. They will also assist the meetings and events team with internal and external meetings as well as special events. This individual will work closely with the audiovisual technician and the meetings and events coordinator to support other departments within the Institute charged with coordinating logistics for meeting planning. This position plays a key role in the organization and interaction with the Board of Directors and key stakeholders. This person should have the ability to multi-task and work to a deadline with minimal supervision while collaborating and coordinating with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Manage the scheduling, coordination, and logistical details for Board of Directors and board committee meetings, and other high-level meetings;
- Manage the scheduling of ground transportation; validate and submit board member travel reimbursements associated with tri-annual meetings to finance;
- Assist the Director of Board Affairs, Meetings & Events with updating Board policies and procedures on Board portal to ensure they are in compliance with Board Bylaw standards;
- Update Board portal and Institute’s website with new board member information;
- Keep minutes up-to-date for Board meetings, committee meetings and other high level meetings;
- Assist Director of Board Affairs, Meetings & Events with gathering and organizing meeting materials and agendas for Board of Directors meetings as well as committee and ad-hoc meetings;
- Act as liaison to OOP and Board Leadership when the Director of Board Affairs/Meetings & Events is out of office
Meetings and Events
- Manage key sponsorship relationships and deliverables for domestic and international conferences and exhibits;
- Maintain strong partnerships with multiple vendors and event partners; manage RFPs; budget specifications; also assist in providing guidance to internal colleagues re site selection, RFP process, vendor negotiation, contract negotiation, including controlling risks associated with attrition and cancellation, hotel management, air/ground travel and transportation;
- Assist with special events; including but not limited to run-of-show, site visits, vendor booking and general communication;
- Manage meeting and events analytics with tracking and reporting;
- Assist with live webinars; digital networking events; and hybrid meetings as needed;
- Manage the sourcing of event venues, site searches, third-party vendors; RFP distribution and hotel contract negotiations;
- Assist the AV technician with post-event evaluations to determine areas of improvement for future events;
- Manage the coordination, sponsorships, hotel management and exhibition of international conferences
- Serve as backup when AV technician or meeting and events coordinator is out of office;
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- A minimum of three to five years’ experience performing high-level meeting and meeting planning; special events a plus;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint and internet research; Zoom, MS Teams; Asana;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; interpersonal and organization skills;
- Demonstrate high level of judgment and ability to respond quickly to changing situations;
- Team player with collaborative approach for managing complicated scenarios;
- Must be highly dependable, punctual, flexible, and professional;
- Eagerness to learn quickly; self-motivated; self starter;
- Ability to work with grace under pressure;
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks and meet deadlines;
- Collaborates well with internal staff; overall positive attitude;
- Strong interest in sexual and reproductive health and support of the Institute’s mission.
Salary and benefits
Salary starting at $50,000 to mid $50k’s and will be commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time, paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here. Applications received through January 21st, 2022 will be considered.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment, where every employee’s unique talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. Guttmacher Institute endeavors to make employment opportunities accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact HR at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].
Guttmacher Institute is an EEO employer.