Payroll and Benefits Coordinator
Founded in 1968, the Guttmacher Institute is a global leader in advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights. Through a unique and interrelated program of high-quality research, evidence-based advocacy and strategic communications, the Institute works to generate new ideas, encourage enlightened public debate, and promote sound policy and program development; its overarching goal is to ensure the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health and rights for all people worldwide. The Institute is engaged in building a more inclusive, transparent and equitable organization.
The Payroll and Benefits Coordinator will be responsible for the day-to-day administration of payroll processing, managing employees’ benefits and inquiries in accordance with Guttmacher’s policies as well as any state, local and Federal laws.
- Administers all payroll functions including preparation, verification and submission of payroll documentations including any off-cycle payrolls, verification of employee hours, earnings and PTO balances.
- Assures that all wages, salaries, bonuses, and/ or deductions, are paid in accordance with company policy and state, local and Federal laws.
- Review and approve any changes affecting wages, such as: tax exemptions, insurance coverage, 401(k) contributions, and unemployment claims.
- Performs payroll reconciliation, identifies, researches, and resolves variances and payroll-related issues. Ensuring corrections/ adjustments are processed to correct identified errors.
- Ensure compliance for any local, state, and federal to include all states Guttmacher employees reside within.
- Review and approve any personnel changes including new/ re-hires, terminations, transfers, salary changes, position changes, and address changes into our HRIS system.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Responsible for reviewing, entering, and tracking employees’ leave start, end, and intermittent dates and communicate to staff and supervisors; ensuring that accrued time will be utilized during the leave of absence based on the leave type.
- Interprets and administers leave programs and policies in accordance with the applicable federal and state employment laws.
- Builds and runs standard and customizable reports relating to organizational audits.
- Ensure accuracy of employee benefit data, including service from third party vendors
- Process invoices in a timely manner and resolve any billing differences as they arise.
- Track and maintain accurate record of all individual FMLA leave claims, documents and determinations and track employee paid and unpaid leave of absence (FMLA, LOA)
- Perform all ad-hoc duties as assigned by Director of Human Resources and ELT.
Qualifications and skills
- Minimum of 7 years of payroll, benefits and leave of absence experience required.
- Multi-State payroll experience required with time and attendance administration.
- Experience with managing Leave Programs
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of ADP WFN and ADP Time & Attendance.
- Proven ability to manage time effectively, including prioritization of tasks and remaining organized when under pressure.
- Ability to communicate with others to convey information effectively.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality to protect the employee’s rights and responsibilities.
- Strong, problem-solving, and conceptual skills, along with interpersonal skills necessary to work with various levels of staff.
- Teamwork, Collaboration and Relationship Building
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Attention to Detail is critical.
- Intermediate to Advanced experience with Excel
Salary and benefits
Starting salary at 86,000 to 95,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
Guttmacher is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment, where employees’ talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. We endeavor to make the application process accessible to all users. If you need assistance learning about or applying to our employment opportunities, please contact our human resources department at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].