This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced and transformative leader who will shape and guide the Guttmacher Institute in fulfilling its very important mission by creating a strong organizational culture that is well-positioned to build on a rich legacy and strategically expand impact both domestically and globally.
Guttmacher Institute’s work is high-quality, high-impact and urgently needed, particularly in the current domestic and international political climate. The Guttmacher Institute’s commitment to unbiased research and policy analysis uniquely positions it to influence the conversation around sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR).
The next President & CEO will bring passion for SRHR and the Institute’s long-term vision, as well as a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. They will be a strong communicator and leader who will build and empower the team and serve as a face of and advocate for the organization as it continues to serve an important role on the national and global stage.
The President & Chief Executive Officer will provide leadership, vision, and inspiration for the Guttmacher staff. Working from the Guttmacher Institute’s headquarters in New York City as a key spokesperson for Guttmacher’s research and policy analysis, the CEO will ensure the continued impact of Guttmacher’s work.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not be limited to the following:
Leadership & Staff/Organizational Development
• Thoroughly understand the Guttmacher Institute, its mission and policies, culture, values, history, key partners and stakeholders, programs, finances and fundraising efforts.
• Work closely with the Board and team to complete the current strategic plan and design the next phase of strategic planning.
• Promote a culture of strong integrity, high performance, meaningful collaboration, and continuous improvement that values learning and commitment to quality.
• Champion racial and gender equity within the Institute and provide vocal and supportive leadership for ongoing organizational change processes.
• Recruit, lead, develop, and inspire a diverse staff to manage and advance Guttmacher’s work in support of the strategic plan, operational goals and objectives.
• Establish a performance-oriented, accountable culture with appropriate performance management systems. Work with senior leaders and the management team to establish and monitor performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, and establish priorities.
• Ensure the proper, effective and transparent management of Guttmacher’s financial resources. Ensure optimum allocation of resources to make the organization as efficient and effective as possible.
External Affairs, Strategic Partnership Building, and Fundraising
• Serve as a spokesperson for the Guttmacher Institute and assure proper representation of the organization in front of all audiences.
• Increase recognition of the Guttmacher Institute as the preeminent research and policy organization dedicated to advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights in the United States and globally.
• Serve as a true advocate and champion for the organization and for SRHR issues, representing Guttmacher to the vulnerable populations it serves as well as to broader audiences including legislators, regulators, corporations, foundations, high net worth individuals, and society in general.
• Build strategic alliances with stakeholders across sectors to achieve desired policy and research goals.
• Seek opportunities to enhance Guttmacher’s work and increase visibility of the organization by leveraging existing relationships with funders and partners and by creating new strategic relationships.
• Provide oversight and strategic direction for Guttmacher’s development and fundraising efforts.
• Develop a sound strategy for diversifying and expanding the organization’s funding base and set aggressive development goals to increase private source and grant fundin
• Establish effective relationships with the Board and bring forth their best efforts, talents, and engagement.
• Ensure the Board receives timely and useful reports and information and access to staff, donors, partners, and others to enable them to form appropriate judgments.
• Cultivate a strong, transparent and collaborative working relationship with the Board.
• Ensure transparency and communicate regularly with the Board around all key governance issues, including strategic planning, financial oversight, and board recruitment and development.
• Recruit Board members skilled in development and who have access to major donors.
The successful candidate will bring passion and enthusiasm for the Guttmacher Institute’s mission and have at least 10 years of leadership experience in an organization of similar size and complexity. They will be a very strong culture builder, stellar communicator, strategic thinker, and a proven leader who will articulate a vision that others embrace and follow.
Specific qualifications should include:
• An innovative and inspiring leader who has the ability to build a culture of inclusivity and equity and knows how to attract, develop, and retain talent. Proven success at infusing values into the vision and operations of an organization.
• Strong change management skills and experience creating very collaborative, inclusive, and trusting cultures.
• A collaborative leadership style and an aptitude for building consensus.
• A humble leader who can inspire and empower employees to achieve organizational objectives and promote organizational values, with a commitment to driving consensus.
• Proven leadership, management, and financial acumen within an organization of similar scale and complexity as the Guttmacher Institute.
• Charismatic and effective communicator who can clearly articulate Guttmacher’s message and inspire and earn the respect of internal and external stakeholders.
• Experience in a policy or research environment, or a suggested aptitude for working in such an environment.
• A track record or acumen to suggest the ability to generate and mobilize significant resources in support of a mission from a variety of sources.
• The ability to understand and manage successful marketing, branding and strategic communications initiatives in today’s rapidly changing political and public health environment.
• A proven track record of implementing a strategic plan and enhancing an organization’s capacity and impact.
• Experience building meaningful partnerships and coalitions with a broad range of constituencies
• A strong passion for social, racial, and reproductive justice and a commitment to sexual and reproductive health and rights.
• Experience working with and developing a diverse Board of Directors.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills, including excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
• Experience and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
• Unquestionable ethics, integrity, transparency, and accountability in all actions.
• An undergraduate degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
Salary and Benefits
A competitive compensation package will be made available to the qualified candidate.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
- To apply to this position please visit www.kornferry.com.