The Publications Assistant is responsible for helping to coordinate the editing, production, external review and translation of the Institute’s publications, which include an array of Guttmacher-branded products, two peer-reviewed journals (Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health and International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health), development appeals and website materials. The Publications Assistant works with the Editorial Manager, the Executive Editors and the Director of Production to improve inter and intra-divisional processes, and ensure that publications move through the editorial and production pipeline efficiently. S/he also provides administrative support, as needed.
- Help manage journal processes, including processing submissions and revisions, coordinating peer-review and tracking manuscripts through editing and production
- Coordinate external peer-review for nonjournal publications
- Prepare galleys for production and online publishing
- Coordinate the translation and vetting of non-English materials
- Perform basic copyediting and proofing, as needed
- Write social media posts for both journals and manage the @PSRHjournal Twitter account
- Respond to and track permissions requests for Guttmacher materials
- Assist with Institute-wide initiatives such as the Annual Report, as needed
- Perform administrative duties for the Communications & Publications division, such as coordinating meetings and events, arranging catering, assisting with travel arrangements, tracking expenses and taking notes/minutes during meetings
- Perform any other job related responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
This entry-level role is ideal for a collaborative and self-motivated individual with experience or interest in publishing; optimizing systems and processes; and/or sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- One to two years of relevant administrative or publications-related work experience
- Highly developed communication and organizational skills and excellent attention to detail; ability to work independently; forward-thinking and proactive approach to work
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook
- Cultural competence and sensitivity toward diversity; commitment to contributing to inclusivity in the workplace
- Familiarity with the following programs a plus: Asana, Microsoft Excel, Zotero, eXtyles, ScholarOne Manuscripts
- Fluency in French or Spanish a plus
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in related field a plus; a combination of equivalent coursework and experience will also be considered
Salary and Benefits
Salary starting at $45,700 to upper $40,000s, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
- No telephone calls will be accepted
- No agencies please