The Receptionist & Administrative Assistant serves as support to the Director of Administrative Services and back up to mail room staff. In this role, the Receptionist &Administrative Assistant will be responsible for: answering telephone calls and screening/directing inquiries as appropriate; greeting, screening, announcing and directing guests to their proper destination as the gatekeeper for the Institute; and completing other job-related projects as assigned. The Receptionist &Administrative Assistant position is an excellent opportunity to interact and work with dedicated colleagues in the field of reproductive health.
- Open, manage and close reception area between the hours of 9:00am – 5:00pm;
- Answer, screen and route all incoming calls in a professional and polite manner;
- Greet, screen, announce, and direct visitors to their destination;
- Respond to basic requests for information about the Institute;
- Arrange for pickup and delivery of messenger services;
- Monitor security cameras and provide entry to the 3rd, 7th, and 16th floor office s;
- Receive, log, and secure incoming packages;
- Assist in answering questions and scheduling ground transportation during Board Meetings;
- Compile visitor names for daily security lists submitted to building security.
- Serve as back-up for the mailroom staff;
- Order office supplies and foster vendor relations;
- Follow up on issues with orders, refunds, and tax exemption submissions;
- Pre-screen subcontractors by conducting detailed background checks for the Institute;
- Manage all contract and vendor files;
- Manage shared office calendars;
- Update staff lists and office maps using Microsoft Visio;
- Maintain the Intranet for the Finance & Administration Division;
- Maintain the Institute’s off-site file inventory in vendor system;
- Create and update department instructional manuals;
- Regularly update the Institute’s furniture inventory in Microsoft Access;
- Reconcile invoices and enter monthly expenses in applicable systems (Concur or Nexonia) for the Director of Administrative Services;
- Compile information for Who Does What update and assist in coordination and dissemination of Business Continuity documentation;
- Assist in triaging daily office and building maintenance requests;
- Schedule Finance & Administration Division meetings;
- Provide administrative support during capital improvement projects and as assigned;
- Train temporary staff for short-term coverage of the reception area;
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- A minimum of two years experience as a receptionist and performing administrative assistant duties in a professional office setting;
- Must be highly dependable and punctual, flexible, detail-oriented, and professional;
- Excellent interpersonal skills required with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with the Institute’s diverse staff and stakeholders;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Access database software;
- Working knowledge of Content Management Software (CMS); Word Press preferred;
- Experience with telephone systems and associated applications;
- Demonstrated ability to work in Microsoft Office to create spreadsheets using Excel; Proficiency working within heavily formatted Word documents and tables;
- Basic knowledge of drawing and mapping software, such as Microsoft Visio;
- Strong interest in sexual and reproductive health and support of the Institute’s mission.
Salary and benefits
Salary starting at $45,700 to upper $40k’s and will be commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time, paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here. Applications received through September 14, 2021 will be considered.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment, where every employee’s unique talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. Guttmacher Institute endeavors to make employment opportunities accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact HR at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].
Guttmacher Institute is an EEO employer.