A Research Associate works with a substantial degree of independence, usually under the direction of a senior research scientist or other senior research staffer, performs a variety of complex research tasks, and often supervises research assistants, including, but not only, on fielding activities. Tasks may include data processing and/or implementing data analyses, coordinating projects, overseeing fielding of surveys
, compilation of information, and writing reports, including publishable products. We are seeking individuals with U.S. and/or international experience.
Responsibilities of this Role:
This individual will primarily support U.S.-based projects and must have substantial experience independently implementing analyses of complex survey data. The successful candidate will have experience analyzing administrative data, including Medicaid data and hospital claims data. Comfort independently training and overseeing the implementation of analyses of more junior research staff and adherence to reproducibility standards are also required.
- Able to perform complex data handling and data transformation tasks using STATA, the primary programming language used at the Guttmacher Institute
- Ability to use other programs highly desired (e.g., R, ArcGIS, Maptitude, SQL)
- Experience with administrative data, nationally representative or other weighted data sets, including Medicaid data and hospital claims data
- Experience working with large national demographic and social science datasets
- Able to merge multiple or complex files, transpose and restructure data files, and to process hierarchical and complex data sets
- Able to conduct complex statistical analyses, including but not limited to Bayesian methods (e.g., JAGS or Stan highly desirable), longitudinal or hierarchical analyses, data loops, and imputation
- Ability to implement reproducible methods (GitKraken, GitHub highly desirable).
- Develop, implement and ensure adherence to reproducibility standards (e.g., use of Git, institutional guidelines).
- Develop and oversee the implementation of project workplans, while ensuring efficient resource utilization.
- Draft project deliverables, including project reports, manuscripts, social media posts, or other published documents.
- Coordinate projects that involve external collaborating entities in the U.S. or in other countries (e.g., convene meetings, coordinate field visits, maintain collaborative relationships outside of funded initiatives).
- Design questionnaires, with direction from senior staff on content.
- Assist with IRB-related activities, as needed.
- Schedule, monitor, manage and coordinate a variety of tasks necessary for the fielding of large surveys, including sample selection, tracking and follow-up, coding, and overall productivity and quality.
- Serve as project manager and work closely with project principals to oversee budget and staffing needs, while monitoring project schedules and work plan.
- Assist with recruitment, training and mentoring of research assistants.
- Assist in proposal development.
- Responsible for appropriate storage, archiving or disposal of survey questionnaires.
- Perform other reasonably related job duties as assigned by supervisor and project leads.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to schedule and coordinate work of a team.
- Ability to train and supervise others, particularly research assistants.
- Ability to be the liaison with, and to professionally manage communication with, consultants, collaborators, and/or organizations.
- Master’s degree in a social science, health or demography field and a minimum of three years of progressively responsible related work experience; or a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and five years of progressively responsible related work experience.
- Ability to travel and represent Guttmacher at external meetings and conferences.
- Ability to plan ahead and foresee needs and problems.
- Effective communication, organizational and management skills.
- Efficiency, accuracy, high productivity and professionalism.
Salary and benefits:
Salary starting at $76,000 to mid $80k’s and will commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time, paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here. Recruitment for this role is underway and will actively continue through September 3, 2021. Applications received through August 16, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment, where every employee’s unique talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. Guttmacher Institute endeavors to make employment opportunities accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact HR at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].
Guttmacher Institute is an EEO employer.