Founded in 1968, the Guttmacher Institute is a global leader in advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights. Through a unique and interrelated program of high-quality research, evidence-based advocacy and strategic communications, the Institute works to generate new ideas, encourage enlightened public debate and promote sound policy and program development. The Institute’s overarching goal is to ensure the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health and rights for all people worldwide. The Institute is engaged in building a more inclusive, transparent and equitable organization.
Reporting to the Director of Institutional Giving, the Senior Development Manager plays a key role in mobilizing financial resources to support Guttmacher’s strategic objectives. This individual is primarily responsible for assisting with the development and implementation of fundraising strategies targeted to the full spectrum of Guttmacher’s institutional donors, including foundations, foreign government agencies and multilateral organizations; liaising with institutional donors; leading on proposals and reports for general operating support grants; managing the post-award process for Guttmacher’s full grants portfolio; and supervising and mentoring the Senior Development Assistant, Institutional Giving.
- Support planning and execution of fundraising strategies designed to meet annual revenue goals;
- Manage relationships with select institutional donors;
- Write, edit and format grant proposals for submission;
- Draft donor reports for submission to institutional donors;
- Edit donor reports drafted by other members of the institutional giving team;
- Supervise and serve as a mentor to the Senior Development Assistant;
- Manage the post-award process;
- Conduct prospect research to identify potential grant funding sources;
- Manage divisional core budgets and serve on interdivisional budget committees; and
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred;
- A minimum of 7 years of demonstrated experience in development and institutional giving, with a proven track record of success;
- Exceptional writing skills, including drafting all forms of donor correspondence, such as proposals, reports, briefs and emails;
- Experience in constructing and analyzing project and program budgets and an understanding of organizational-level budgets;
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Outstanding oral and interpersonal communication skills, with ability to interact effectively with institutional donors and other external stakeholders;
- Strong collaborative and teamwork skills and ability to organize, expedite, problem solve, and manage multiple complex projects simultaneously, working within and across diverse groups and teams;
- Proficiency in customer relationship management (CRM) software preferred, experience with Salesforce a plus;
- Supervisory experience a plus;
- Experience raising funds for social science research and/or reproductive health, rights, and justice a plus; and
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion practices in a workplace environment a plus.
Salary and benefits
Salary starting at $88,000 to low $100ks and will be commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time, paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here. Applications received through December 1st, 2021 will be considered.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment, where every employee’s unique talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. Guttmacher Institute endeavors to make employment opportunities accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact HR at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].
Guttmacher Institute is an EEO employer.