Senior Digital Communications Assistant
Founded in 1968, the Guttmacher Institute is a global leader in advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights. Through a unique and interrelated program of high-quality research, evidence-based advocacy and strategic communications, the Institute works to generate new ideas, encourage enlightened public debate, and promote sound policy and program development; its overarching goal is to ensure the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health and rights for all people worldwide. The Institute is engaged in building a more inclusive, transparent and equitable organization.
The Senior Digital Communications Assistant will support the Communications team’s outreach and educational efforts, with particular focus on providing project support to the digital communications team, tracking, and analyzing the impact of the Institute’s work, assisting in dissemination activities and social media monitoring, and helping to inform, develop and monitor the Guttmacher Institute’s online communications strategy.
Digital Communications Strategy and Performance Analysis
- Assist Digital Communications Manager, Senior Digital Communications Manager and Principal Digital Strategist with social media management, including monitoring the way the Institute and SRHR issues are discussed on active channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube), maintaining content calendar and tracking capabilities;
- Help develop and execute digital content concepts, including email outreach, website postings, social media campaigns and graphics;
- Regularly analyze website traffic to identify opportunities to better serve the needs of website visitors and maximize the presentation of Guttmacher’s work online;
- Develop strategies based on email list metrics to increase subscriber growth and engagement;
- Make recommendations for optimizing Guttmacher’s website based on observed relationships among social media performance, online marketing efforts, email outreach and website publishing tactics;
- Assist with website and social media content development, curation and maintenance and contribute to development and implementation of website optimizations and projects to improve the experiences of website visitors as well as back-end workflow and functionality;
- Design and implement reports that track key digital communications metrics and provide actionable insights;
- Provide metrics on communications activities for staff, funder and board reports as needed
- Manage media clip tracking and provide media coverage analytics upon request;
- Educate and train staff across divisions on performance metrics as needed.
- Assist as needed in all aspects of Communications & Publications division activities, including subject research, preparation of background materials, record-keeping, list development, etc.
- Represent the Institute at relevant colleague meetings, events and conferences;
- Track outreach efforts and provide administrative support;
- Manage applications and online services used by Communications team for dissemination, including subscriptions to Mailchimp and Cision;
- Develop and implement communications processes to ensure clarity in website posting and online dissemination across projects and products, using tools such as Asana to inform and internal chat applications to maintain consistency cross-divisionally.
- Train staff in the use of communications tools, systems and software;
- Perform other job-related tasks and projects as assigned.
Qualifications and skills
- Two to four years related experience, including providing customer service.
- Experience working in and adapting to a fast-paced environment.
- Must be comfortable working in a team and taking direction from multiple staff and have the ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet essential.
- Proficiency with website content management systems (e.g. Drupal), Google Analytics, Mailchimp and online media database platforms a plus.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized and able to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks and meet deadlines.
- Comfortable in liaising with a variety of audiences while representing the Guttmacher Institute in a professional and culturally competent manner;
- Experience working with social media platforms a plus.
Salary and benefits
Starting salary at $54,000 to $81,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
Guttmacher is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment, where employees’ talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. We endeavor to make the application process accessible to all users. If you need assistance learning about or applying to our employment opportunities, please contact our human resources department at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].