The Senior Editor will join a team of 8–10 editors who are responsible for shaping Guttmacher’s publications. Products range in complexity from fact sheets and media materials to reports and articles for the Institute’s two peer-reviewed journals, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health and International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. The Senior Editor position requires the following aptitudes:
- Excellent editing skills (command of grammar and usage; ability to edit technical material for diverse audiences; close attention to internal consistency and readability; ability to help authors formulate strong, cohesive arguments)
- Sufficient understanding of social science research methods and statistics to ensure accuracy, readability and effectiveness of both text and graphics
We strongly prefer that Senior Editor candidates also be familiar with the sexual and reproductive health field.
- Provide substantive edits and guidance on text, tables, figures and infographics to ensure accuracy, internal consistency, correctness of grammar and style, readability and strength of message
- Work with authors with varying writing and language proficiencies to ensure that material meets rigorous standards for publication
- Work with executive editors, authors, the designer and production staff to shepherd products through review and production phases
- For the peer-reviewed journals, screen and discuss manuscript submissions, identify reviewers, and assist in managing peer review and revision processes
- Provide mentorship for and oversight of associate editors
- Assist the director and executive editors in creating, revising and communicating new procedures
- Write copy, as needed
- Screen outside journals to stay abreast of the field
- Represent the journals at professional meetings
- Perform other job-related tasks and projects, as assigned
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience; specialization in social sciences or other related field a plus
- At least 5 years of editorial experience focused on academic/professional material in the social sciences
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, and attention to house style and messaging, consistency within and across products, and audience-specific readability
- Understanding of social science research methods and statistics, and ability to assess graphics for accuracy and readability
- Familiarity with the sexual and reproductive health field a plus
- Proficiency in Word and Excel, willingness to learn project management software (Asana), reference management software (Zotero) and other programs
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills, close attention to detail
- Ability to manage projects and assist team leaders in implementing new processes
- Availability for occasional travel to domestic or international meetings
- Fluency in French or Spanish a plus
Salary and Benefits
Salary starting at $88,000 to low $100Ks, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
- To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
- No telephone calls will be accepted
- No agencies please