The Senior Global Communications Manager is a key part of Guttmacher’s communications team, working both independently and collaboratively to develop and implement strategies to maximize the reach of Guttmacher’s international research. This position oversees the day-to-day operations of the global dissemination program as well as the creation of a wide range of traditional and digital materials designed to communicate the Institute’s work to key audiences, including media, policymakers, advocates and service providers at country, regional and global levels. The Senior Global Communications Manager also serves as the primary liaison with the Institute’s in-country communications partners. This position manages two mid-level communications managers and is responsible for the resource planning, budget management, and development support for international research proposals.
- Develops and implements integrated communication strategies to release and disseminate Guttmacher’s international work.
- Oversees the development of materials and digital assets, including news releases, opinion pieces, social media campaigns, infographics, PowerPoint presentations and web content.
- Reviews Guttmacher-authored research articles and reports prior to journal submission or internal publication to provide language, message and framing guidance.
- Works in collaboration with colleagues in the Communications, Research, Public Policy and Development divisions in project conceptualization and development, and in drafting funding proposals and funder reports.
- Conducts outreach to and fields inquiries from journalists worldwide to promote Guttmacher's international work and other activities. Proactively builds relationships with journalists.
- Supports media tours, site visits and on-the-ground support for Guttmacher leadership when deemed necessary.
- In collaboration with - Senior Global Communications Manager who focuses on global policy initiatives, provides communication support and technical assistance to partners on how to effectively communicate research for advocacy purposes, inclusive of but not limited to workshops and webinars.
- Represents the Institute at meetings with overseas donors, country offices of international organizations, conferences and other gatherings as appropriate.
- Manages communications budgets for international research projects.
- Directly responsible for supervising two global communications managers.
- Performs other job-related tasks and projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate is a versatile, experienced communications professional with demonstrated understanding of and capabilities to communicate effectively about international public health and human rights.
- Minimum of seven years’ relevant work experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience managing partnerships, specifically working in low- and/or middle-income countries/resource-constrained settings strongly preferred Interest in international sexual and reproductive health and rights issues and promoting Guttmacher’s mission.
- Experience in project management.
- Ability to travel internationally at least 15% of the year.
- Experience in media relations and/or media training a plus.
- Cultural competence and sensitivity when interacting with a diverse array of international partners and audiences.
- Demonstrated experience working efficiently under tight deadlines and juggling multiple priorities and projects.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Supervisory experience (formal or informal) preferred; commitment to undergoing management training a must.
- Competency in French and/or Spanish a plus.
Salary and Benefits
Salary starting at $96,000 to low $100ks, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
- To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
- No telephone calls will be accepted
- No agencies please