Senior Research Administrative Assistant
Founded in 1968, the Guttmacher Institute is a global leader in advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights. Through a unique and interrelated program of high-quality research, evidence-based advocacy and strategic communications, the Institute works to generate new ideas, encourage enlightened public debate, and promote sound policy and program development; its overarching goal is to ensure the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health and rights for all people worldwide. The Institute is engaged in building a more inclusive, transparent and equitable organization.
Reporting to the Research Administrative Manager (RAM), the Senior Research Administrative Assistant (SRAA) works closely with the RAM, the Director of Research Operations (DRO), and the Research Administrative Team (RAT) to support the success of division administrative functions. The primary responsibility of the SRAA is to support various day-to-day administrative functions of the RAT and Research Division, process and approve Research division expenses, track Research staff activities and publications, support Guttmacher library functions, assist RAT documentation and archiving efforts, and support project management on the RAT. The Senior Research Administrative Assistant, working collaboratively with key internal staff, will provide administrative support to the Research Administrative Team and within the Research Division.
Division-level administration support:
- Update and maintain division resources, as needed; Act as point of reference for specific questions and resources related to Research Administrative Team and Research Division administration;
- Draft, proofread, and format division documents, as needed, including various tools and databases across technological platforms;
- Provide travel support for research staff and external colleagues;
- Assist and support knowledge management initiatives within the Research Administrative Team and Research Division, as needed;
- Maintain and monitor division activities and publications to inform the Institute’s internal databases, as well as internal and funder reports;
- Maintain and track conference attendance across all division staff;
- Assist and support the Research Administrative Team and other research/institute staff to onboard new staff and offboard departing staff;
- Assist Research Administrative Team to support internship and practicum requests;
- Assist Research Administrative Team staff, as needed.
Expenses and Payments support:
- Submit expense reports and reimbursements for the Research Management Team and Research Administrative Team;
- Process and approve expense reports, reimbursements, and other invoices for research staff, and consultants, as needed;
- Work with the finance team to ensure payments are processed, verifications sent to individuals, and investigate when payment issues arise, as needed;
- Work with Research Administrative Team to improve communication and documentation of processes with the Finance team.
- Monitor and maintain Guttmacher library requests and project files, and support planning for future library needs;
- Serve as key resource on references for project teams;
- Providing training on Zotero to Research staff, as needed;
- Support efforts for compliance with NIH Public Access policies.
Project management support:
- Serve as project manager for Research Administrative Team projects and Research Division awards, as needed;
- Assist Research Administrative Team staff on project and budget management issues, as needed;
- Assist the Research Administrative Team in the submission of U.S. government grant proposals and reports, IRB submissions, and related tasks, as needed.
Perform other reasonably related job duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications and skills
- Ability to professionally communicate with internal colleagues at varying levels.
- Experience scheduling and coordinating multiple teams’ complex work projects/schedules.
- Accuracy and efficiency in all aspects of work; attention to detail.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills.
- Bachelor’s degree and two (2) years’ experience or 4-6 years of relevant experience in research administration.
- Ability to work independently with some supervision.
- Experience using project management software a plus.
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential materials and issues.
- Interest in sexual and reproductive health issues, a plus.
Salary and benefits
Salary starting at $61,047 to $86,329.54 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
Guttmacher is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment, where employees’ talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. We endeavor to make the application process accessible to all users. If you need assistance learning about or applying to our employment opportunities, please contact our human resources department at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].