Technical Responsibilities and Oversight:
- Support data management, programming and analyses functions;
- Perform simple to complex analyses and tabulations using a range of data files to support a range of domestic and international research projects;
- Perform advanced data management tasks, including processing datasets with complex sample designs, merging data files, preparing national demographic and social science datasets for analyses, and transposing and restructuring data files;
- Support fielding staff in the optimal use of data collection programs (e.g., Qualtrics) to expedite data processing and management;
- Develop efficiencies in the analysis pipeline by developing standard centralized programming for commonly used datasets;
- Serve as a liaison in cross-divisional communications on data related issues;
- Support the identification, selection, troubleshooting, and licensing management of software related to data management, programming, analyses, and computational reproducibility;
- Assist in proposal development by providing information on available data sources and variables;
- Support version control processes (e.g., Git);
Data Management Core
- Work in collaboration with other Research Cores, the Research Administration Team, and senior management to prioritize data management and information needs;
- Develop and implement process improvements in data management core operations;
- Maintain relationships with research project leads to identify data management needs, process gaps, or areas for improvement;
- Oversee archiving of project materials in consultation with project managers;
- Maintain and document Guttmacher’s historical collection of survey data and project files
Data Management Training and Quality Monitoring
- Support the ongoing transformation of our data management and programming systems and processes under the direction of the leadership of the Data Management Core and the Computational Reproducibility Core;
- Ensure continuous improvement in data management best practices and documentation;
- Provide staff trainings, skill maintenance and continuing education in data management, programming, and analyses;
- Create technical training manuals for staff to ensure computational reproducibility (e.g., programmatic export of tables and figures), ensure consistency in programming approaches, and ensure statistical best practices;
- Manage response to external requests for Guttmacher data, monitor and track outcomes of data sharing
- Perform other job-related duties as requested.
Skills and demonstrated experience with the core responsibilities is valued over the type of degree(s) or a specific number of years of experience.
- Demonstrated high level of experience in data management using a range of software programs and data documentation is required.
- Advanced proficiency with Stata and R are required.
- Proficiency with statistical programming is required and familiarity with SQL desirable.
- Experience with Markdown for creating technical training manuals is desirable.
- Ability to rapidly learn new advancements in the field plus a commitment to supporting staff professional development.
- Ability to write technical documentation and training manuals in clear, user-friendly language.
- Competitive candidates will likely possess a minimum of 5 - 7 years of work experience as a data manager and data management trainer, or a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and 5 years of progressively responsible related work experience, or a Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., statistics, biostatistics, epidemiology) and a minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible related work experience.
- Experience working with large teams across multiple projects.
- Excellent communication skills including oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully engage with diverse teams.
- Professionalism and ability to work efficiently and independently.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritize competing demands, anticipate needs and solve problems.
- Excellent organizational and management skills.
- Provide consistently accurate work.
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Experience in the sexual and reproductive health field a plus.
Salary and Benefits
Salary starting at $88,500 to upper $90k’s, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time, paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
- To apply, submit resume and cover letter here. Applications received through June 21, 2021 will be considered.
- No telephone calls will be accepted.
- No agencies please.