The Senior U.S. Communications Manager is a key part of Guttmacher’s domestic communications team focused on research, working both independently and collaboratively to develop and implement strategies across various communications channels to inform and help shape public debate on sexual and reproductive health and rights issues in the United States. This position works closely with the domestic research and policy teams and the U.S. policy communications staff to oversee the creation of a wide range of materials and outreach plans designed to communicate the Institute’s U.S. national and state-focused research to key audiences, including media, policymakers, advocates, the research community and health care providers.
- Oversees the planning and development of communications strategies and materials to maximize the impact of Guttmacher’s U.S.-focused research, including news releases, opinion pieces, blog posts, social media campaigns, infographics, fact sheets and web content, and/or supervises others in these tasks.
- Work closely with the Washington, DC-based U.S. policy communications team to develop outreach plans and support aspects of media engagement around policy analyses and other policy-relevant releases
- Works with Communications, Research, and Public Policy divisions to create, disseminate, and track communication products for major studies and issues areas, including briefings.
- Creates internal work plans, dashboards, and project reports that meet project timelines, critical milestones and performance objectives
- Reviews research articles and reports prior to journal submission or internal publication to provide language, message and framing guidance.
- Supports the Development division in project conceptualization and development, and in drafting funder proposals and reports.
- Works closely with other Communications staff to identify, engage and pitch key national and state-level outlets and individuals covering health, science and policy through various channels.
- Identifies ongoing opportunities, such as breaking news stories, relevant advocacy and awareness days, conferences and other events, to promote Guttmacher’s domestic research.
- Represents the Institute at relevant coalition meetings and conferences.
- Perform other job-related tasks and projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate is a versatile, experienced communications professional with demonstrated understanding of and capabilities to communicate effectively about domestic public health, reproductive justice and/or human rights issues.
- Minimum of seven years’ relevant work experience
- Excellent communications skills and proven ability to write for different formats, platforms and audiences.
- Proven ability to communicate complex subject matters to non-expert audiences
- Proven track-record achieving impact and communicating effectively to a range of audiences on issues related to public health, reproductive health, and reproductive rights and justice.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to work under deadlines and juggle priorities and projects
- Familiarity with using social media platforms strategically for professional purposes a plus
- Supervisory experience (formal or informal) preferred; commitment to undergoing management training a must
- Occasional domestic travel
- Spanish preferred
- Passion for sexual and reproductive health and rights, and the Institute’s mission.
Salary and Benefits
Minimum salary of $96,000 to the low $100ks annualized, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time; paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
- No telephone calls will be accepted
- No agencies please