The Senior US Communications Manager develops and implements communications strategies to maximize the impact of Guttmacher’s U.S.-focused policy analysis and research activities. This position plays a key role in our U.S. media relations and rapid response efforts, proactively developing relationships with reporters and editors; pitching story ideas; ensuring effective fielding of media inquiries; coordinating, prepping and staffing of expert interviews; and helping to supervise the production of curated daily media clips. The Senior US Communications Manager proactively positions the Institute’s policy experts and narratives; opportunistically initiates, facilitates and executes cross-divisional rapid response efforts in close coordination with the rest of the team; and has a leading role in identifying and countering disinformation and inaccurate opposition narratives. In collaboration with the Policy and Research teams, this position conceptualizes and drafts press releases and other materials for media outreach, serves as spokesperson as appropriate, and works with authors and the Institute’s editors to shape messages for a range of other written products.
- Works as a key member of the Institute’s domestic communications team, with the overarching goal of maximizing the impact of Guttmacher’s U.S.-focused policy analysis and research.
- Plans, develops and implements communications strategies to achieve the fullest possible impact of the Institute’s major domestic program areas, with a primary focus on collaborating with and amplifying the work of the policy division.
- Plays a critical role in Guttmacher’s U.S. media relations efforts, including conducting proactive media outreach and pitching media stories and op-eds; ensuring effective fielding of media inquiries; and coordinating, prepping and staffing interviews with Institute experts.
- Engages with reporters on background and serves as on-the-record spokesperson as appropriate.
- Helps oversee the production of curated daily media clips by junior staff with the goal of capturing use of Guttmacher quotes and data, identifying key media coverage on relevant issues, and enabling other staff to easily stay on top of current news.
- In close collaboration with other team members opportunistically initiates, facilitates and executes cross-divisional rapid response efforts and has a key role in monitoring, identifying and countering disinformation and opposition narratives.
- In coordination and collaboration with the policy team, conceptualizes and drafts blog posts, op-eds and press releases, creates other materials as needed, and works with authors and editors to shape messages for a range of other written products.
- Participate in editorial meetings and processes, and work with authors and editors to help shape language, messaging, articles and analyses.
- Identifies ongoing opportunities, such as breaking news stories, relevant advocacy and awareness days, conferences and other events, to promote Guttmacher’s domestic work.
- Supports the Development division in project conceptualization and development, and in drafting funder proposals and reports.
- Represents the Institute at relevant coalition meetings and conferences.
- Perform other job-related tasks and projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate is a versatile, experienced communications professional with demonstrated
understanding of and capabilities to communicate effectively about domestic public health, reproductive
justice and/or human rights issues.
- Dedicated to the Institute’s mission
- Minimum of seven years’ relevant work experience
- Excellent communications skills and proven ability to write for different formats, platforms and
- Proven ability to communicate complex subject matters to non-expert audiences
- Proven track-record achieving impact and communicating effectively to a range of audiences on issues related to public health, reproductive health, and reproductive rights and justice.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to work under deadlines and juggle priorities and projects
- Familiarity with using social media platforms strategically for professional purposes a plus
- Commitment to ongoing learning, including management training
- Proficiency with common information technology platforms like Microsoft and Google suites, Mail Chimp and Drupal, and ability to quickly become fluent with other systems.
- Occasional domestic travel
Salary and benefits
Salary starting mid $90,000 and will be commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation, personal and sick time, paid parental leave; tuition reimbursement; commuting subsidy; and 401(k) with employer match. The Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the training and support staff need to be successful in their positions and to grow professionally.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.
Please note that telephone inquiries will not be acknowledged. No agencies, please.
The Guttmacher Institute seeks to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment, where every employee’s unique talents are valued and recognized as an asset to the achievement of our mission. Guttmacher Institute endeavors to make employment opportunities accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact HR at (212) 248-1111 or [email protected].
Guttmacher Institute is an EEO employer.