--Updated May 7, 2003
The Guttmacher Institute is a leading authority on sexual and reproductive health and rights in the United States and worldwide. Visitors to this site should understand the derivation and limitations of the information presented here. Visitors are encouraged to use Guttmacher Institute information, but must comply with conditions for further use.
Derivation and Limitations
Through this Web site, the Guttmacher Institute strives to provide the most current and accurate data on a range of issues related to sexual and reproductive health, behavior and public policy. To the extent possible, scientific information posted here
• is from published print materials produced and distributed by the Guttmacher Institute or from database material collected and maintained by the Guttmacher Institute;
• has undergone extensive review, including blind peer review in the case of Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health (formerly, Family Planning Perspectives) and International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health (formerly, International Family Planning Perspectives);
• appears with the most recent publication date; and
• contains references and citations for primary source materials.
In most cases, full methodology accompanies research findings provided. However, if you have any questions regarding research methods or findings or would like clarification, contact [email protected]
This World Wide Web site with its home page in the domain "guttmacher.org" (the "Web site") is an information service offered by the Guttmacher Institute at no charge to users of the World Wide Web with the express condition that these users agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth in this User Agreement. The Guttmacher Institute reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time. It is the responsibility of the user to keep current with this user agreement.
Although the Guttmacher Institute makes every effort to see that no inaccurate or misleading data, opinion or statement appear on this Web site, it is impossible to ensure total accuracy. In addition, the Web site is not intended to dispense legal, medical or other technical advice. Therefore, the information on the Guttmacher Institute Web site is provided "as is" for general informational and educational purposes only.
By accessing the information contained on this Web site, you represent that you have read and agree to the following terms:
• You acknowledge that the information on the Web site is provided "as is" for general informational and educational purposes only.
• While the Guttmacher Institute's servers utilize current virus protection utilities, the Guttmacher Institute makes no warranty that these pages, or the server that makes them available, are free of viruses or other harmful elements, and such warranties are expressly disclaimed.
• The Guttmacher Institute accepts no liability whatsoever for consequences of any inaccurate data, opinion or statement and expressly disclaims all warranties regarding the content of this Web site, including but not limited to any warranty of accuracy, completeness, currency, reliability, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. You agree that you will hold harmless the Guttmacher Institute and its officers, directors, employees and published authors from all claims arising out of or related to your access to or use of, or your inability to access or use, this Web site or the information contained in this Web site or other Web sites to which it is linked, including but not limited to claims that you have found something you have heard, viewed or downloaded from this Web site or another Web site to which it is linked to be obscene, offensive, defamatory or infringing upon your intellectual property rights. In no event will the Guttmacher Institute or the contributors of information to this Web site be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you in reliance on such information or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
• You acknowledge that opinions and recommendations contained in this Web site may not necessarily be those of the Guttmacher Institute or endorsed by the Guttmacher Institute.
• The Guttmacher Institute may provide links on the Web site to other Web sites that are not under the control of the Guttmacher Institute. In general, any Web site that has an address (or URL) that does not contain "guttmacher.org," or "agi-usa.org" is such a Web site. These links are provided for convenience of reference only and are not intended as an endorsement by the Guttmacher Institute of the organization or individual operating the Web site or a warranty of any type regarding linked Web sites or the information on these sites.
• You may provide a hypertext link to this Web site on another Web site, provided that
a. the link is a text-only link clearly marked "Guttmacher Institute,"
b. the link "points" to the URL "http://www.guttmacher.org" and not to other pages within the Web site,
c. the appearance, position and other aspects of the link are not such as to damage or dilute the goodwill associated with the Guttmacher Institute's name and trademarks,
d. the appearance, position and other aspects of the link do not create the false appearance that an entity other than the Guttmacher Institute is associated with or sponsored by the Guttmacher Institute, and
e. the link, when activated by a user, displays this Web site full-screen and not within a "frame" on the linked Web site.
• You agree that all hypertext links to this Web site other than those meeting the criteria above must be approved by the Guttmacher Institute. The Guttmacher Institute reserves the right to revoke its consent to any link at any time.
• The works of authorship contained in this Web site, including but not limited to all design, text and images, are owned or licensed by the Guttmacher Institute, and may not be copied, reproduced, transmitted, displayed, performed, distributed, rented, sublicensed, altered, stored for subsequent use or otherwise used in whole or in part in any manner without the Guttmacher Institute's prior written consent, except that
a. the user may make such temporary copies in a single computer's RAM and hard drive cache as are necessary to browse the Web site; and
b. the user may make permanent printouts of pages of the Web site (unmodified in form, with a copy of this User Agreement attached) to be used by the user for personal and noncommercial uses that do not harm the reputation of the Guttmacher Institute.
c. the user may download documents presented on the Web site for these purposes.
• This Web site (excluding linked sites) is controlled by the Guttmacher Institute, which is headquartered in the State of New York, United States of America. This Web site can be accessed from all 50 states, as well as from other countries around the world. As each of these places has laws that may differ from those of New York, when you access this Web site, both you and the Guttmacher Institue agree that the statutes and laws of the State of New York, without regard to conflicts of laws or principles thereof, will apply to all matters arising from or relating to use of this Web site. You and the Guttmacher Institute also agree and hereby submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of the Superior Court of New York County and the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York with respect to such matters. The Guttmacher Institute makes no representation that materials on the Web site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and assumes no responsibility for their use in territories where their contents are illegal. Those who choose to access this Web site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.