Get email updates
Abortion in the U.S. Has Become Concentrated Among Poor Women
The Guttmacher Institute encourages you to share this infographic freely to ensure the debate is informed by facts, not misinformation
- Unintended pregnancy rates have increased among poor women while they have declined among higher-income women
- 42% of women having abortions have income levels below the federal poverty line
- Compared with higher income women, poor women have unintended pregnancy rates 5X as high; abortion rates 5X as high and unplanned birth rates 6X as high
- Seven in 10 women would have preferred to have their abortion earlier. Many women experience delays because they need time to raise the money.
- Delays=Higher Costs: travel costs, child care costs, lost wages from missed work
- Women report having to borrow money from friends & family and forgo paying rent, groceries & utilities to pay for their procedure.
These graphics were made possible by a grant from the Wallace Alexander Gerbode Foundation.