U.S. Women Who Have Abortions
- By age 45 about half of American women will have an unintended pregnancy and nearly 1 in 3 will have an abortion.
- Sources: Henshaw SK, Unintended pregnancy in the United States, Family Planning Perspectives, 1998, 30(1):24–29 & 46, and Jones RK and Kavanaugh ML, Changes in abortion rates between 2000 and 2008 and lifetime incidence of abortion, Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2011, 117(6):1358–1366.
- Demographic characteristics of women having abortions (age, race/ethnicity, religion, children, economic status, marital status).
- Source: Jones RK, Finer LB and Singh S, Characteristics of U.S. abortion patients, 2008, New York: Guttmacher Institute, 2010.
- 88% have their abortions in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.
- Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Abortion surveillance—United States, 2006, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 2009, Vol. 58, No. SS-8.
These graphics were made possible by a grant from the Wallace Alexander Gerbode Foundation