The Guttmacher Institute is a leading research and policy organization committed to advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) worldwide.
The Guttmacher Institute envisions a future in which all people can realize their rights and access the resources they need to achieve sexual and reproductive health. This vision is aligned with a progressive and evidence-based definition of SRHR, grounded in human rights, which holds that sexual and reproductive health is not merely the absence of disease, dysfunction or infirmity but a state of physical, emotional, mental and social well-being in all aspects of sexuality and reproduction.
Guttmacher’s work is guided by the following overarching institutional values:
- Equity and Justice: Addressing historical and ongoing oppression on the basis of race, gender, sexuality, income, age, immigration status and other marginalized identities, as well as the compounded impact of multiple oppressions.
- Collaboration: Bringing a spirit of partnership and collective purpose, both to the Institute’s internal functioning and to external work with SRHR and intersectional allies and partners.
- Global View: Lifting up connections across SRHR issues and across different contexts throughout the world, rather than separating the U.S. experience from what happens on the rest of the globe.
- Integrity: Acting with fidelity to facts in priority-setting, research practices and communication of evidence.
- Nimbleness: Cultivating a readiness posture, being flexible and adaptive, and getting comfortable with uncertainty.
To learn more about our work, explore the Institute’s Strategic Framework: Planning in an Era of Change and read about our Strategic Positioning (PDF).
Read our Racial Equity Statement.