Presented by the Guttmacher Institute
The Darroch Award, sponsored by the Guttmacher Institute, recognizes an emerging leader who is a researcher in the field of sexual and reproductive health, where scientific evidence is essential to guiding the policies and programs of the future.
The award honors Jacqueline E. Darroch, Ph.D., whose four decades of conducting and directing research exemplify rigorous and innovative work in this field and commitment to the practical application of research to policy and programs. The award aims to recognize and stimulate such work.
The award, offered once every two years, includes a $3,000 prize.
Criteria for the award
- The awardee’s work must combine excellence in research with practical application to public policy and programs in the field of sexual and reproductive health.
- The awardee’s work must demonstrate vision and innovation in methodology, analysis and/or communication of research findings.
- The awardee’s work must adhere to the highest standards of research methodology and analysis.
- Participation in the field of sexual and reproductive health in one or more of the following areas is considered an asset: public education, teaching, board service, and professional activities.
- Nominees should be in early to mid career. There is no age or degree requirement.
Nominees will be evaluated by a committee with long-standing relationships to the Institute and the field of sexual and reproductive health: Dr. Darroch; Jeffrey Smith, Vice President, Technical Leadership at Jhpiego and member of Guttmacher’s board; Lisa Harris, Professor of Reproductive Health at the University of Michigan; Iqbal Shah, Principal Research Scientist, Department of Global Health and Population at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; Heather Boonstra, Director of Public Policy at Guttmacher; and Lawrence Finer, Vice President for Domestic Research at Guttmacher.
Past winners include:
2005: Elizabeth Raymond
2007: Sandra García
2009: Kelly Blanchard
2011: Eric Buhi
2013: Cynthia Harper
2015: Wendy Norman
For more information about the Darroch Award, please contact [email protected].