Nomination deadline: Friday, May 17, 2019
The Darroch Award, sponsored by the Guttmacher Institute, recognizes an emerging leader in the field of sexual and reproductive health research, where scientific evidence is essential to guiding the policies and programs of the future.
The award honors Jacqueline E. Darroch, whose four decades of conducting and directing research in this field exemplify rigorous and innovative work and a commitment to the practical application of research to policies and programs. The award aims to recognize and stimulate such work.
The award, offered to one recipient every two years, includes a $3,000 prize.
Criteria for the award
- The awardee’s work must combine excellence in research with practical application to public policy and programs in the field of sexual and reproductive health.
- The awardee’s work must demonstrate vision and innovation in methodology, analysis and communication of research findings.
- The awardee’s work must adhere to the highest standards of research methodology and analysis.
- Participation in the field of sexual and reproductive health in one or more of the following areas is considered an asset: public education, teaching, board service and professional activities.
- Nominees should be early to mid-career researchers. There is no age or degree requirement.
Nominees will be evaluated by a committee of individuals with long-standing relationships to the Guttmacher Institute and the field of sexual and reproductive health: Jacqueline Darroch, honoree and senior fellow at Guttmacher; Heather Boonstra, director of public policy at Guttmacher; Ndola Prata, professor at the University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health; Carole Joffe, professor of sociology emerita at the University of California, Davis and professor in the ANSIRH program at the University of California, San Francisco; John Casterline, professor of sociology at The Ohio State University; and Rachel Jones, principal research scientist at Guttmacher.
Past Darroch Award recipients:
2005: Elizabeth Raymond
2007: Sandra García
2009: Kelly Blanchard
2011: Eric Buhi
2013: Cynthia Harper
2015: Wendy Norman
2017: Angel Foster
The deadline for nominations is May 17, 2019. Nominators should complete the form (PDF format), which also contains instructions for submission. For more information about the Darroch Award, please contact [email protected].