The Guttmacher Institute encourages you to share this infographic freely to ensure that the debate is informed by facts, not misinformation.
- Close to 1 in 4 young women in the developing world are already married.
- Source: United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), Progress for Children, A Report Card on Adolescents, New York: UNICEF, 2012.
- 1/3 of new HIV infections are among youth 15–24
- Sources: UNAIDS Programme Coordinating Board, Background Note, Thematic Segment: HIV, Adolescents and Youth, Geneva: UNAIDS, 2013; and
- UNAIDS, 2013 Global fact sheet, Geneva: UNAIDS, 2013.
- More than one half of sexually active young women in developing countries who want to avoid pregnancy have an unmet need for modern contraception.
- Source: Singh S, Darroch JE and Ashford LS, Adding It Up: The Costs and Benefits of Investing in Sexual and Reproductive Health 2014, New York: Guttmacher Institute, 2014.
Support for this infographic was provided, via a subgrant from IPPF, by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs under the Choices and Opportunities Fund.